What can get better than a day spent in the water with your loved ones? Then, enjoy the summer and beat the heat while kayaking. So, if you plan to go kayaking, there are a few things to know before you buy your first kayak. This guide will help you with some of the basics that one needs to know before purchasing. Also, you can look into ocean kayak Malibu for more related information.
Where do you plan to use your kayak?
So, now that you have decided to purchase a kayak, you need to decide where you will be using it. Of course, all kayaks will float on water, but various types are used for specific purposes based on the environment. For example, kayaks are famously used in the following environment which includes:
- Oceans and seas
- Canals and rivers
- Lakes and ponds
Know the advantages of sit-in kayaks
The several advantages include:
- Warmth and dryness: The lower half of your body inside the deck will be kept safe from getting wet. However, the cockpit aids in keeping you warm not only from water but other weather conditions like snow, rain and wind.
- Better control: Both a sit-in kayak and a sit-on kayak indeed provide stability to you, but a sit-in kayak offers better control to the rider. Manoeuvring becomes easier, and you will have better control over your position, knees and feet in the kayak.
Know the advantages of a sit-on kayak
- Movement: You will see that the top deck offers better mobility to you in comparison to a sit-in kayak. Also, this type of kayak lets you move in and out of the water easily without too many hassles.
- Self-bailing: A sit-on kayak has features that let water drain out on its own. Thus, you do not have to worry about being stuck with water.
Know the various types of kayaks available in the market
- Whitewater kayaks: If you need to kayak aggressively, then these kayaks are a perfect option. You will come across four types of different whitewater kayaks, and they are creek boats, river runners, long boats and playboats. You can decide on the type of kayak you want based on your needs. Preferably this category of kayaks is for people who are used to the basic types. So, try your hands at those before jumping into this one.
- Recreational kayaks: If you want to take a short trip through calm waters, this is the perfect kayak for you. This is a suitable option for all beginners who want to try out kayaking.
- Inflatable kayaks: One of the best features of this kayak is storing and transporting it easily. So, if you live in a small apartment, then this is a good option. You will see that these kayaks are available in both whitewater and flatwater designs. Pick the most appropriate one for your needs.
What should you know before buying your first kayak?
Speed of the kayak
So, you need to determine what type of experience you would like to have. Are you looking forward to going to larger distances, or do you want to remain in a single spot? Based on your experience, you need to pick a kayak.
You must measure the paddle before buying, not to purchase something too short or too long for you. Having a good paddle will enhance your kayaking experience; thus, make sure you know what needs to be purchased. For the measurements, get in touch with an expert who will help you accurately. You can also check out the internet for some information.
Hull for the kayak
The hull is the bottom part of the kayak, which is very important in the vessel’s design. You need to know that the design has an impact on the performance. So, choose the hull properly. Some of the major types of hulls found in kayaks include rounded, flat, V-shaped and pontoon. Based on your kayaking needs, you will have to make an appropriate choice.
These are just a few things that will help you decide on the best kayak for your requirements. So, what are you waiting for? Start exploring today!